Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Last Day of Sailing


[Kyle]Our next day started out on flat water with gray clouds and a light drizzle. The streak was broken. It wasn’t actually bad. The drizzle only lasted a short while. The clouds never did leave. At least we had a tailwind. For the second time in a row, we unfurled the big screacher and were pushed along by light winds. It was early again. For the first half of the journey, we had the whole sound to ourselves. By afternoon, the sound was scattered with ferries, sailboats and dive boats, all headed somewhere different.

I was feeling a little melancholy. We had ideal sailing conditions but I was all too aware that this was the last time I would be going sailing for several months. Maryanne and I had sailed over 9,600 nautical miles in the last year and a half. Lately, it is becoming more and more apparent that the long, cold, dark, windy winter is on the way and it will be here very soon. At this latitude, year round sailing is not really possible. Footprint will have to hunker down while Maryanne and I flee to a warmer climate. We’ll be back and we’ll get to see this and a whole series of other new and beautiful places starting in the spring. I thought about how wonderful that first sail feels after such a long time away and wondered what’s in store for us in the winter. I did my best to try to capture this moment as best as I could, knowing that I would need it to carry me through my own winter.

We picked up a visitor mooring in Oban harbor. We were both tired from the early morning and took a moment to have a last nap. After that, it would all be a frenzy of work to get Footprint and ourselves ready for winter.

By nightfall, she was already looking bare, her rig stripped of sails and her deck barren of lines. The next two days are the real work. After that, I’m off to work and then Maryanne and I are off on a vacation. We’re not ready to stop moving for the year just yet.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Gee Kyle.... a vacation from a vacation? I know you’re officially back at work now, but c’mon – has it really been so tiring and stressful since your return that you need more time off already?
;-)

I guess the winter-prep blues, seeing Footprint’s bare bones and thinking about being away from her for so long really are triggering withdrawal symptoms that can only be cured with another trip. ;-)

Regardless, I’m jealous. I hope you and Maryanne will post notes about this ‘vacation’ too. But in case the two of you plan some private down-time for a change, I just want to let you know that I (and I’m sure the other followers of your blog as well) am definitely going to miss all the wonderful pictures, descriptions and adventures you both have shared with us since Maryanne retired and you both set off on your seafaring travels with Footprint.

Thanks so much for letting us be a part of your lives. Looking forward to reading about more happy sails – and happy trails!

Mommy Dearest said...

I can feel your sadness and resignation at this junction in your travels. I'm sure you would not want to be there on Footprint during the cold, dark winter to come, but it's very sad to button her up and walk away like this.

You have a wonderful, adventurous trip ahead to tell us all about (won't you??? yes, yes, yes).

I hope no one goes away from checking your blog because it will not be all that long before you are back sailing again. But for now, a few sad tears.

Deb T said...

Russ and I were wondering today at lunch how much longer you would be sailing this year. We are certainly going to miss your posts. If you are willing, I'd love to read about your forthcoming vacation. Another adventure?