Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Bangor and Moving North

[Kyle]Since our engine parts had not arrived, we ended up having to stay another day in Bangor. Wouldn’t you know it, the weather was pretty nice. We slept in and spent the day moving everything back into the guest berth. I pre-did all of the work that I could on the engine and then spent some time on route planning for Scotland. Afterwards, we had a nice long walk on Bangor's pretty coastal path.


Bangor Waterfront and Coastal Walk

When we woke up early the next morning, it was cold and pelting down rain. I knew it! I have been here long enough to mistrust even nice weather. It never lasts. Usually, August is when I finally start getting sick of summer. I am tired of it being too hot to even sleep until the wee hours. I’m tired of getting sweaty 15 minutes after a shower. I begin to long for nice cool autumn breezes. The same thing happens in February with the chill of winter. That’s even worse. This is the first August I can remember that I haven’t started to get sick of summer. Instead, I’m still waiting for it.

We did force ourselves to get everything done. The parts arrived with the marina mail on Monday, we immediately installed them and were soon heading out into weather it in which it did not seem sensible. The rain died off to a drizzle. With a near gale force wind behind us and a following current as well, we flew up the coast. Clouds came tearing off of the tops of high cliffs made of wet, gray rock where every crack was infected with something green. The rain eventually stopped altogether and the clouds lifted enough for us to see the tops of the mountains surrounding our anchorage at Red Bay, the only protected inlet on this coast. By the time we were anchored, the big waves of the Irish Sea had diffused to a light swell. We were the only ones here. Wow! This anchorage was not just ‘trees and water’ as Maryanne says, but also cliffs, valleys, waterfalls, ruins, beach and even sporadic wifi. Pretty cool!


North of Bangor - from the Sea

4 comments:

Mommy Dearest said...

I love the photos. It makes me feel like I'm there, but hotter. So much hotter, in fact, that I understand your yearning for the end of summer. Here, it is getting to about 115 every single day, sometimes higher. The front door handle is so hot, I can't touch it by late afternoon. I have to dash into and out of the garages very quickly to keep from fainting from the heat. As much as I hate it, I have to leave the air conditioning on all night, as it cools to only about 95 in the wee hours of the morning before dawn. The tape I use on my parcels melts off and everything comes undone before I can mail it. I haven't turned a faucet for "hot" water in 2 months because ALL the water coming out of the faucets is hot enough. I'd love to see a bit of rain and feel a cool breeze. And I know it will be another 6 weeks before this abates. Different worlds for us right now.
I had a great visit with Mindy for the past several days--she's terrific!
Be safe and keep that wifi coming.

kate said...

it's hard to believe a place could be that stunningly beautiful. it reminds me of one of the sponsors (benefactors extraordinaire) of NPR's "all things considered" -they are described as dedicated to building "a more just, peaceful, and verdant world." verdant... that's what bangor is.

Mommy Dearest said...

Note to Kate--I am an NPR Junkie and also love that phrase. But I could not tell you who the sponsor is. I simply get moist-eyed at the notion of a more just, peaceful and verdant world. It sure isn't happening here yet, but looks like Ireland has all the makings, at least. They need to focus on the peaceful part. So do we.

kate said...

so very true, carla! thanks for commenting. i am all alone out here in "liberal world."