Sunday, August 30, 2009

Dunstaffnage - a temporary base to explore and chore

[Kyle]From our Eriska anchorage, once I'd had my coffee, we called Dunstaffnage Marina and told them we were coming. They said to call them on the radio when we arrived. When we got there, we got no answer on it or the telephone, making for a few aggravating minutes of hovering in tight quarters in the strong wind. Eventually, someone came out in a tender and directed us in. It turns out we arrived at a rare simultaneous radio/phone failure. They were embarrassed but very friendly.

We were getting a little stressed because we had booked a car for the week and the end of the day was fast approaching. We had just missed the bus so we walked the 5 miles into town as fast as we could go and arrived with 20 minutes to spare. Once we had the car, we let out big sighs and headed to the store for a big load of heavy groceries. It’s nice to have a car.

The next morning (Saturday), for the first time since the BVI, we got up and went for a run. We were both pleased to find we weren’t in as poor shape as we feared. I suppose all of the recent hiking with heavy packs had something to do with it.


Scenic (bicycle) Trails make good running trails too

After our run we set to on following up on one of John’s (CatFlap) tips and driving up to Barcaldine to see one of the marinas about winter storage. We found a place that we really liked but the guy said he’s full for the winter. Oh, well. Back to plan A.


Ben Nevis distillery

Since we were partway there already, we decided to drive up to Fort William to see the Ben Nevis distillery. It wasn’t really anything special but the drive up there was amazing. Maryanne and I spent the whole day going down Memory Lane, including a replay of the drive past Castle Stalker. This part of Scotland is just incredible. We must have pulled over 100 times to look at the view. I’d turn to get back into the car and realize that I had missed equal beauty behind me. It was painful. I didn’t know where to look. I wanted to climb every hill and taste every waterfall.

[Maryanne]Kyle and I have now been to quite a selection of whisky distilleries, and we both agree that the Ben Nevis one is the worst.. It is an ill informed tour through a dirty/decaying factory and with lackluster presentation at that! The whisky was unimpressive too; we suspect that nearly all this whisky goes to making blends. Hmmmm.. at least the tour was inexpensive.

Fort William is a backpacking/hiking capital in Scotland and there are plenty of ways to part with your money. I insisted it was time for me to purchase some decent walking shoes/boots (mine have long since disintegrated). Kyle was none to impressed once he started to notice the price tags. Most were so expensive that the £95 I eventually spent seemed cheap. I'm now the proud new owner of some fancy black gortex trainers - initially designed for hill running (I know boots are better but boots just don't work for me, although I keep trying). Several days later Kyle is still recovering from the cost (he keeps converting to US$ too, just to make it worse).

Maryanne enjoys a girly shoe purchase session.. for walking shoes

[Kyle]A little about the Ka

The car we rented in Oban for the week is a Ford Ka (which, of course is how the English say car, which makes it even more hilarious). The thing that gets me about this is that it’s made by Ford. In the U.S., Ford has been doing all of this hand wringing about potential fuel economy regulations by saying they would have to retool everything they have, etc. at huge cost.

Bollocks! I’m sure this Ka is actually put together somewhere over here in Europe, but seriously, it’s a Ford. It’s small, comfortable, safe (well, probably not against a Chevy Suburban, but that’s another rant) and it gets a posted 67 miles per gallon. {Maryanne - we are getting 55mpg easily}. They already build loads of these cars. I bet it’s cheap, too. Although, over here everything is relative.


Our wheels for the week - the Ford Ka

5 comments:

Mommy Dearest said...

When I'm reading a particularly good book and come to the end, I always slow down, not ready for it to end. I might read an engaging book in 3 days, but the last chapter will take me another three. I just am not ready to move on. Same here. It is a melancholy realization that your quest is almost at an end. (And thank you for the clip--I am admitting for all the world here, in my utter shame, that I have never seen a Monty Python movie.

If it seems incredible to me the distance you have traveled, it must be so much more so for you. And what a wonderful place to stop this particular leg of your journeys, the place you first met, fell in love and made commitments to each other that you no doubt have felt like eating once in a while since.

The landscape is, of course, glorious, made all the sweeter by your personal experiences and memories of these places. Can it really only have been six years ago? A thousand and six, more like it.

And thanks for the info and pictures of your Ka. Ford shall get no more sympathy from me! 55mpg is amazing. We cannot buy a single vehicle with that kind of mileage here.

Maryanne, you are beaming trying on your new shoes. Good God, Kyle, the woman needs a new pair of shoes and you're sitting there converting to USD? Stop that--give her a huge hug, compliment her on her new shoes and ask if there is anything else she might fancy or need.

Can you please provide me with some help on the name Dunstaffnage? Is the syllable "staff" emphasized? It looks like a fine place to rest, explore and plan for your next huge adventure.

I'm sorry about work, Kyle. I know this is the bear that's been chasing you through the woods for the last 3 months. Newark, New Jersey simply will not compare, but it is what allows you to have this charmed life. Somehow, you will have to get through it.

More soon. Sending much love.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you that that part of Scotland has some of the most stunning views you will ever see, if you can see them through the rain. In August of 2003 we took our kids over for the first time to meet my extended family and see some of where I grew up. On the ferry from Oban to Mull, it was blowing a gale and raining horizontally. My then 7 year old daughter looked up at my wife and I and said "Daddy, I don't think this is the Scotland they show on post cards."

Maryanne: I have to disagree with you re: Monty Python. Both my daughters love the movie, have watched it many times, and inject the lines into conversations. Just remember, you're not dead yet!

Have a blast.

Gavin
Skye Song
Gemini 792

Karen said...

Congratulations on your new shoes, Maryanne! Nothing like going shopping to make a gal’s day better! ;-) Sounds like you got them just in time too..... even though you've got a car for a little while, Kyle would be hard-pressed to begrudge you them the next time you had to walk “the 5 miles into town as fast as you could go!”

That Ka reminds me a little bit of a smaller, cuter version of a PT Cruiser. With mileage and looks like that, if Ford were to transplant or recreate one (or more) of those factories to the States, I think they’d recuperate their costs and be well on their way to turning a profit in no time!

Enjoy your remaining time together on this trip. I can’t wait to hear about your next reunion and adventures.

Take care and happy sails!

Anonymous said...

Maryanne and Kyle:
Your excellent commentary and photos of Scotland have ignited the flames of my proud Scottish ancestry. My Nova Scotia ancestors were from Keppoch and Sleat in Scotland. Just five miles (8km) from where I now live in Nova Scotia the original settlement of Keppoch, N.S. resides. My ancestors from Scotland landed in Pictou, N.S., and then moved overland to Keppoch, N.S.
Thank you for bringing "home" so much closer to home.
Robert MacDonald

kate said...

I can only imagine how wonderful it is to experience for a second time the part of Scotland where you first met. Very romantic! It is indeed beautiful. But wow! I can't believe the gas mileage your Ka gets! I am always grousing (Okay, ranting) about the measly 35mph advertised for some of the so-called economical compact cars here in the U.S. It's a joke - minus the humor. I must have missed the Monty Python reference. Of course, Maryanne has never cared for those lads, eh? I seem to remember her admitting that once - not very loudly, of course. Being British and not liking Monty Python is sort of like being a U.S. Congressman who doesn't wear an American flag on his lapel. Why are you siding with the terrorists, Maryanne? ;)