Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Hiking/running in Argyll


Beautiful Forest trails, wonderfully mapped, marked and managed (in this case) by the Forestry service

[Kyle]Since Maryanne and I are based somewhere for a little while and since we have a dock, so that getting ashore in bad weather is a bit easier, and since we have hot powerful showers to hand (courtesy of the marina), we have resumed our routine of running every day. {Maryanne: well we've done it a few times and hope to re-establish it as a routine..}. Scotland is a bit like Oregon to me in that, even if the weather’s bad (as it is 45 minutes of every hour), it seems a shame not to get out and enjoy it. The trails are really well done out here, with good maintenance and markings. Most of the places that we’ve been running have alternated between lush paths through thick, moss covered trees, usually alongside a river with its attendant waterfalls, and long, sweeping views of rugged mountains. We took a wrong turn on one path and ended up back at the parking lot when we were about half done. Still eager to see our original planned trail, we went up again and ended up doing more than a double run.

The day after that we attempted to run up what Maryanne calls the M.C. Escher staircase trail. The trail was so steep that eventually we gave up even trying to run. We figured we were getting enough exercise hauling ourselves up. We climbed for two hours and broke out into the parking lot and our car. Well, okay, not really, but for the first part of the climb we would have sworn that’s where it was going. We’d keep seeing no more signs of possible up and then we’d come around the corner and there was not only more up, but it was even steeper. We were sure that space was somehow folding back on itself. We were feeling pretty chuffed with ourselves for being so outdoorsy and athletic when a woman went chugging by, clearly not straining and going faster than we would match. She said something about lovely day for a walk, which we didn’t understand fully because of the marked Doppler shift. That was humiliating enough, but get this, she also had on one of those backpacks that a toddler goes in – with a toddler in. We kept thinking that we’d go into a shop for a snack after the hike and we would find her behind the counter, already showered and changed and fluffed up.

After a couple hours of climbing, we reached the end of the official trail. Just on the other side of the fence was a sign saying ‘Ben Lora Viewpoint – 900 metres’. Maryanne says I’m like a dog with a wagging tail every time I see a new trail or even a hint of a trail. She doesn’t mean it as a compliment but it’s absolutely true. I can’t resist the urge to have a peek around the next corner or over the next ridge. She looked at the sizable climb ahead, which may have only been 900m but it was steep, and knew she was done for.

The non-trail was no so well kept. It had rained a lot lately (since the last ice age) and it was a bit boggy. I can only imagine that the Scots must have 50 words for wet ground: squelchy, squishy, squippy, slippy, drippy, na’shoe… We definitely found them all.

The occasional bog to cross - my new shoes keep me dry and fearless


We got to the top of the mountain. I took a few photos. When I was done, I looked up and found the very wife who was complaining about my wanderlust marching smartly toward the next peak. She’s all talk. I knew there was a reason I picked this one. At the end of the day, her curiosity and wonder is too strong to resist as well.

Finding nowhere else that was sensible to go, we headed back down the way we came. Just past a squippy place, the trail transitioned to slippy – wet grass over mud. I wasn’t prepared. My feet went out from under me and I went sliding down the mountainside on my back water park style. The ground, with its under-layer of moss, was really soft. As soon as I fell, I knew that I was so hopelessly muddy that there was no point in getting mad about it so I just enjoyed the ride. The really cool thing was that my legs were out in front of me in a slight vee, which, like a big squeegee, squeezed all of the moisture out of the grass ahead of me. As the, um, apex of the vee approached, a geyser of mud, water and grass clippings shot ahead of me like I was plowing snow off of a road. It was really cool. Had I been a little kid, I would have totally gone back and done it fifteen more times. As an infinitesimally wiser adult, I realized that there may be a stray rock under that there moss and decided against it. It sure was fun, though.

Because there was so much water on the ground, the mud wasn’t bad. It was mostly water with a few bits of dead grass and bark in it. On the way back, it rained enough to effectively rinse me off. Once it stopped, since I was wearing light weight running clothes, It dries quickly and was only slightly damp by the time Maryanne and I got back to the car.

We love the trees

On return to the Marina, Maryanne was especially glad to find not only hot showers but a "family bathroom" with a bath tub to soak in - perfect!


3 comments:

kate said...

the only way kyle's downhill slide could have been more fun is if there was an accompanying video! actually, no video required - i got a clear picture thanks to the detailed description! (and 10 points for using the word "infinitesimally" - i haven't heard that since 9th grade vocab!)

Unknown said...

My very good friend Deb Thrasher, who introduced me to your blog, said I should send along a comment. In short, I have so enjoyed your journey and traveled vicariously through your sailing, running, walking, (sliding), exploring and otherwise taking in our magnificent world. I look forward to each new blog (checking daily) and appreciate both of your writing talents, not to mention the exceptional photographs you include. While early blog reading was simply that, it has now morphed into a ritual of bringing up your latest dispatch and travel map, opening Google Map on my end, then followed by opening Google Earth and attempting to determine your latest location. In this way I can also follow up your wonderful photos with those taken by other travelers posted on “Earth”. Oh, and not to forget the fold-out map of Scotland I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Best to you both and thanks for permitting us to occasionally share the helm of the “Footprint” as you travel. Russ and Joan Richards / Modesto, CA

Mommy Dearest said...

I have been away on a trip of my own (not nearly as exciting as yours, but fun nonetheless), I have returned to check in on you and had a belly laugh at your description of the muddy conditions. It seems, Kyle, that you knew exactly what to do with those conditions and had a good laugh in the bargain.
Maryanne, you are keeping up with Kyle? My, what ever has happened to that sensible woman I used to know who didn't like to exercise and would never go for runs? Ah, evolution!

I'll sit with my morning coffee and read the newer posts tomorrow after I've had a good rest. Till then, keep em coming!