Saturday, October 15, 2011

Agropoli – Day 8 – 14 October

[Kyle]In the morning, we went out to find a Notary Public to witness signatures for our paperwork. It turns out Italy has no such thing. The very concept seems unheard of. What would have been a quick $10 errand in the U.S. turned into an all-morning affair. Initially, it was thought we meant we needed a Notario, which seems to be either a lawyer or a broker. Either would charge us hundreds of euros. No freakin’ way. We tried City Hall, where as an aside, we got to meet the Mayor. They suggested we go to the U.S. Consulate in Naples. I’m sure everybody there is a Notary, but I was not about to spend all day going all the way up there just to have a signature witnessed. We finally had luck at the Coast Guard. Since our paperwork was boat related and since they had been helping us along the way, we were finally given the equivalent signature and stamp.

We then went down the harbor to Footprint to give Luigi a tour and rundown of all of the systems that weren’t self-evident. We also left a set of keys. Their priority seemed to be to get the engine up and running, which had been partially submerged. Luigi seemed impressed by her systems and the equipment we had installed. We talked a bit (he speaks a little English) about where we had sailed her. He said he was sorry this had happened to us and we responded that we hoped he would do well with the boat. He seemed completely unconcerned with the mess. I suppose seeing a boat in that condition is much more normal for him than us.

As we walked away, we started off at a brisk pace like we always did for our cross-town commute. Then I realized we no longer had reason to return. I always knew it was a possibility, but I really hadn’t expected this when we showed up at the factory with the Big Check. We gave each other a hug, but quickly got moving again. Neither one of us was ready to let the dam break. I decided that even though all of the remaining business was all on paper and not to do with the actual boat, I would swing by one more time before leaving to check on her – the long-standing habits of the sailor.


Lon Bubeck said...

I have been reading your posts for a couple of years now. I have enjoyed reading about this years cruising as I cruised the same area almost 30 years ago and suffered a three day grounding and fairly sever damage requiring repairs in the gulf of Patras in Greece. I was also the Gemini dealer in Southern California for twenty years so I know the boats well. Don't let this tragedy stop you. If you want to start your adventures from a new venue, I have a couple of great used Geminis for sale here in Southern California. Mexico, Hawaii and Polynesia await!

Mommy Dearest said...

I just can't read all this and see these pictures without tearing up. Don't know how you have managed to keep your chins up as you have.I can almost see you biting your lip as you write and that, too, breaks my heart.
I know you'll be back at sea and probably already have steady plans for how, when, where, etc. I know you both too well to think for one moment this will deter you. Detour temporarily, perhaps, but never deter.
But it's fair to take some time to mourn this particular loss, as I know Footprint was as much a part of you both as any vital body part. I know how hard you worked to get her and I'm thankful for all the time you've spent with her. There will be another, and you'll learn to love it just as much. Well, almost anyway.
Sending huge hugs and lots of empathy your way. So anxious to see you.

Pat said...

Very sorry to hear of your loss, with just the partial consolation of you meeting some very good people.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lon. You're the first to try to profit from our loss.

Kyle S/V Footprint