Friday, June 20, 2008
[Maryanne]Here is Kyle cleaning the bottom of the boat at the water line last weekend. The current was strong, but he clung on with huge suction cups. I was there for moral support (Honestly).
One of the agreements we made regarding my retirement is that I would be able to do most of the boat maintenance so when Kyle was at home, we could both just relax - I really TRY to help - but on this occasion Kyle will have to be the hero and rescue me (again)...
Anyone that knows Kyle and I will know we like to be prepared.... As part of this we have an extensive spares selection on the boat - at the ready. One thing missing from the stores is a spare belt for our autopilot. I've been trying to purchase one for ages, but for some mysterious reason the supplier does not seem to be supplying any to the sellers - every so often I will chase a lead, and it always leads nowhere. Our local dockmaster suggested I can probably purchase one from a local company that makes belts for all sorts of things and could most likely match it.
What harm can it do to ask I thought! Well first I had to get the old belt off - which requires removing the steering wheel. There is available a special tool to remove the steering wheel, but in the past we had managed with brute force and a crow bar - I managed again. (Very proud of myself). It turned out this local manufacture could not match the belt - so I returned to the boat to put back the belt (I decided I'd take pictures to help the next time). I was being very diligent.. and quite smug with myself.. Just as I put the wheel back on, I noticed a part that should have been installed before this point - 3 days later I am still trying to remove the wheel. I have borrowed two different types of wheel pullers from the local boat yard (neither quite fit), I have been unable to purchase a wheel remover locally (They offered to order one at $100+) - so now I'm being a feeble female and waiting for Kyle to return home to rescue me (and the autopilot).
I did manage to test the electrolyte levels in the batteries... Not bad for 4 days "work".