[Maryanne]Kyle set off for work today, and we both rowed into shore together at 8am. Kyle went off for the train to work, I took a long hot shower, and then set off for a 10am appointment with the Historical Society for a bit of research. Just as I was waiting in line at the Historical Society, I had a call from the Marina; they wanted me to move the boat because of Hurricane Hanna! They would not allow me to ride out the storm aboard the boat. Luckily they offered a free stay at a marina to entice me to move. Unfortunately that marina is back in Long Island Sound, and to get there I would have to take the boat back through Hell Gate, and if I was going to do it today, I would have to navigate Hell Gate against a full current. Yikes. Kyle and I both thought the Mooring ball we were on would be fine. Max gusts predicted were in the low 40's, and max winds 36kt. The mooring is well protected from both sides by the NY skyline, and lots of large tug and barges had appeared and anchored in the river along side us, to ride out the storm - clearly the expert locals thought it would be OK.
However, having been specifically asked to move (and offered a free dock) we felt we had to move. Since Kyle was at work, I got to move the boat (good Job I had that recent practice in Boston!)
It took me over 5 hours to get here, but I made it, I'm safe, the boat is well tied up and I don't have to row to shore. It is supposed to be very heavy rain from this evening onwards, but if there is a break I'll explore the area. I'm right next to the Mets stadium, and close by to La Guardia airport. Once the storm has passed through I'll return to the mooring, hopefully in time for Kyle to return from work.